Regional Tourism Act Project
In 2009, PURA, in collaboration with, the City of Pueblo, Greater Pueblo Chamber of Commerce, Historic Arkansas Riverwalk of Pueblo (HARP), Pueblo Convention Center and the Pueblo Economic Development Corporation (PEDCO), developed a Regional Tourism Plan to attract new, out-of-state, visitors to Downtown Pueblo. This plan includes:
- the expansion of the Pueblo Convention Center from 54,000 sq. ft. to 95,000 sq. ft.,
- construction of a new Riverwalk Boathouse,
- construction of a new Regional Aquatic Facility, that will house a competitive swimming pool and indoor water park,
- construction of three new mixed-use development projects that include new, moderate income housing,
- a hotel development,
- construction of an outdoor amphitheater on Pueblo’s scenic Riverwalk,
- renovation of Memorial Hall to attract new entertainment,
- a three-story parking structure with a walkway to the hotel that adjoins the expanded convention center.
The City of Pueblo was one of seven city’s vying for the State of Colorado’s RTA Grant. On May 18, 2012, Pueblo was awarded $14.8 million to implement the tourism plan. Please click on the following link to view the original application.
And the Planning Begins…
Resolution No. 1 with the Colorado Office of Economic Development, dedicates specified state sales tax increment revenue for Pueblo’s RTA Project, otherwise known as the “Pueblo Professional Bull Riders University and Heritage of Heroes Project.” To view this resolution, follow the link below:
RTA Phasing Maps